Illinois Tobacco Quitline
The Illinois Tobacco Quitline (ITQL) is a free telephone resource that provides tobacco cessation counseling and information to tobacco users who want to quit tobacco use, and tobacco cessation material to individuals requesting information to give to a tobacco user.
Tobacco users should call the Quitline for more information at 1-866-784-8937 (1-866-QUIT-YES) or visit http://quityes.org/
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) may be recommended in combination with cessation counseling. Depending on funding and availability, nicotine patches may be provided to eligible ITQL callers thought the Illinois Department of Public Health statewide NRT distribution program. In addition to telephone counseling services, ITQL offers web-based services including general information about the ITQL, response to information requests about tobacco cessation, online interactive counseling, and e-mail referrals and requests for a call from an ITQL counselor.
ITQL is staffed by tobacco treatment specialists, registered nurses, and respiratory therapists who have received training in tobacco cessation counseling. Both English and Spanish-speaking counselors are available on the ITQL staff. For callers who speak other languages, an interpretation service with access to 200 languages is used. ITQL is funded by the Illinois Department of Public Health and managed by the American Lung Association in Illinois.
As of January 1, 2008, Illinois joins 22 other states that have taken this important step to protect its residents, workers and visitors from the harmful and hazardous effects of secondhand smoke.
Smoke-Free Illinois Act requires that public places and places of employment must be completely smoke-free inside and within 15 feet from entrances, exits, windows that open and ventilation intakes. This includes but is not limited to:
- Public places and buildings, offices, elevators, restrooms, theaters, museums, libraries, educational institutions, schools, commercial establishments, enclosed shopping centers and retail stores
- Restaurants, bars, taverns and gaming facilities
- Lobbies, reception areas, hallways, meeting rooms, waiting rooms, break rooms and other common-use areas
- Concert halls, auditoriums, enclosed or partially enclosed sports arenas, bowling alleys, skating rinks, convention facilities, polling places and private clubs
- Hospitals, health care facilities, health care clinics, child care, adult care or other similar social service care
- No less than 75 percent of hotel or motel sleeping quarters rented to guests
- Public conveyances, government-owned vehicles and vehicles open to the public
- If you have any questions please contact the McDonough County Health Department at 309-837-9951 and ask to speak with the Tobacco Coordinator.
As of January 1, 2008, individuals can file a complaint by calling the Illinois Department of Public Health’s toll-free complaint line at 866-973-4646 (TTY 800-547-0466, hearing impaired use only), the McDonough County Health Department 309-837-9951, or on-line through this Web site.